Friday, November 22, 2013

My diagnosis


So yesterday was my doctors appointment. I wanted to find out why I was so tired and having bouts of amnesia. My diagnosis was Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. My sugar levels were too high so I'm now on a drug often used to work with pre and early diabetic patients called metformin. After calling my mother she informed me she knew she has the condition, my grandmother and my mother's aunt also had the condition. People if there is nothing else I've taken away from this it is get your medical history. I've asked for mine several times but my family is very hush hush and it's made things hard other than the tidbits I get about my mother's conditions. I'm not saying this would have changed the facts but perhaps I'd be better prepared for them. Finding out I've had this syndrome for awhile and it's just now getting to a worse stage does make me very thankful for my two girls because many women have a great deal of problems getting pregnant when they have this and often it's in attempts to get pregnant that they find out they have it so in that part I've been extremely blessed to have my two girls. 
I do hope it helps with my tiredness though. On a good note I took next week off of work which I'm glad I did because my doctor warned me this medication will make me ill for awhile until my body learns to tolerate it.

Is it the worst diagnosis? No. So it being hard to grapple with may sound silly on my end but who really wants to be told they will be on medication for the rest of their life? We all wish for a quick fix but sometimes there just isn't one. 
From the Mayo Clinic:

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. The name of the condition comes from the appearance of the ovaries in most, but not all, women with the disorder — enlarged and containing numerous small cysts located along the outer edge of each ovary (polycystic appearance).
Infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods, excess hair growth, acne and obesity can all occur in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. In adolescents, infrequent or absent menstruation may signal the condition. In women past adolescence, difficulty becoming pregnant or unexplained weight gain may be the first sign.
The exact cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is unknown. Early diagnosis and treatment may reduce the risk of long-term complications, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to get a diagnosis but sorry that it is such an overwhelming one. I hope starting the medication doesn't give you too much trouble. Please take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete