Monday, November 17, 2014

Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

So I've actually had the recipe up for pumpkin seeds for awhile but it's been mixed in with another blog post. I wanted to try and make a post just for roasting pumpkin seeds but being the silly person I am I don't have pictures for everything. I will try and walk you through though. 

Step 1

Get a pumpkin and carve out the seeds. I like to do this around Halloween mainly because that's when I'm normally carving out pumpkins. 

Step 2

Separate the seeds from the stringy pumpkin bits. I like to rinse but some people feel that the pumpkin stuff adds more flavor. I'm not sure what flavor they are going for though so I rinse my seeds well.

Step 3 

Boil in salt water for about 20 minutes. (If you go longer don't worry). Boiling in salt water helps puff the seeds up and has the added bonus of helping separate off any more little pumpkin tid bits. 

Step 4

Let seeds dry. Spread them out over trays and placed between cloths or sheets of paper towels. I normally let them sit over night. 

Step 5

Making the pumpkin seeds!


Measure out 2 cups of seeds.



Melt 3 TBS Butter or Margarine
Measure out 4 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce

Mix into seeds.



Add 1 tsp of salt to the pumpkin seeds. Apply this by sprinkling and stirring. 

(If you are trying alternative seasonings then keep in mind what kind of seasonings you are using and how much salt each one generally contains. While everything really is to taste I don't highly recommend a lot of salt for anyone in any recipe.)


Add 1/4 tsp garlic salt.
Garlic powder also works well.
You can also use other seasonings too or combine seasonings. I used Garlic Powder because I was adding steak seasoning to this batch and steak seasoning already has a lot of salt in it. 
I added about 1/4 tsp of steak seasoning but also 1/4 tsp of Garlic powder I like a lot of flavor to my seed shells.


Bake @ 300F for 40 minutes and then if desired sprinkle with sugar.
It sounds odd but especially for the base recipe I've given above the sprinkling of sugar on it really gives it a nice taste it just fits together well in my opinion. Maybe try some with and without and find what you like.

Just like sunflower seeds the outside shelling can be ate but it is very tough. You may just want to suck on the shell then dig the seed out. It's really all up to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment