Monday, September 23, 2013

Fall Cleaning Challenge: W1/D1


Ah so we are to our very first challenge. I'm tempted to say the first challenge is just removing myself from my chair as that seems like the hardest part to any of this. I know there are only two results at the end of the next few weeks.

  1. I feel great about the house and it is cleaned and ready for the holidays and I can take a breather.
  2. My family has decided that it would be funny to come in behind me and see how fast they can return us to our normal mess. 
I'm hoping option 1 but the truth is option 2 is looking more realistic. 

So as I outlined before we are going to spend the week working on the high places. Working our way top to bottom the best we can. 

Now I, like many other parents, tend to be extremely busy so these daily little things may seem just that, little. You very well could accomplish more in your day of that I'm sure! I'm going at a pace that I can handle and there are a lot of things I won't be able to fit in. My suggestion if you've got more time on your hands and you're like, "Hu, well that's done now what?" Pick a drawer, stack, surface in your house that has papers, disorganized toys, collection of toothpicks, whatever it is and try and put some order to it. That's one thing that I'm going to be just randomly trying to accomplish and if I try to set it to a time line it'd take me a month and I'm quite sure everyone doesn't want to see, "Your challenge is to organize the ....." everyday. I guess what I'm saying is BE PROACTIVE! 

Today's Task

Ceilings! Yup get up high (though carefully please!) and get cobwebs out of corners and if your house seems to bread dust bunnies like mine then the ceiling area around a ceiling fan likes to collect a lot of dust also. I've found the easiest thing for those of us with popcorn ceilings is to use the brush attachment to a vacuum cleaner. You don't want to be brushing really hard otherwise you get annoying white popcorn falling on your floors but most clothes and 'dusting equipment' are cotton and just like to get stuck in the popcorn.

Check your bathroom ceiling! If your bathroom does not have enough air flow your showers may have been causing some dark spots... by the way that's mold but I'm sure you guessed that by now. I like to stand far back and mist some 1/2 water 1/2 bleach solution up there and let it sit for a little bit and then come back and carefully wipe it down. It tends to do the job for me for the areas I apparently missed with the 'no mold' bathroom paint. 

If you have central air and your returns are up at the ceiling then go ahead and get these at this time too. 

And that's it! You have completed Day 1. Now that wasn't so hard now was it. 

Interested in the other weeks follow back here.

2 comments:

  1. Wait a minute, I use those cobwebs as Halloween decor. You mean I have to clear them out already ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least spray them with canned snow so they show up well ;) Or you can make a giant one out of yarn and put a bunch of little spiders on it and say the spiders revolted when you took down their homes. LOL

      Delete